Injuries to Minors and Children

Attorney Doug Goyen The Law Office of Doug Goyen represents people who have been injured in car accidents. As a Dallas auto accident attorney, this sometimes includes children who have been injured in accidents. Texas recognizes that minors are incapable of making their own legal decisions. Because the people involved are making decisions for the child, an injury claim involving a child must be handled with caution. If you have a child who has been injured as a result of negligence and require legal assistance in recovering what is owed for the injury, please contact our personal injury attorney right away. We can begin assisting you right away. Dial 972 599 4100 for more information.

Call For A Free Case Review (972) 599-4100


Texas defines a “minor” in several statutes and in various ways. A minor is defined as someone under the age of 17 by the Texas Family Code. A minor, according to the Texas Criminal Code, is someone under the age of 18. A minor may also be “emancipated” under the law, transforming the minor into an adult, if they are 17 years old and managing their own finances, or if they are 16 years old and living apart from their parents and managing their own finances.

Childrens medical center Minors are unable to file lawsuits without the assistance of a parent or guardian. Minors are vulnerable to the same types of injuries as adults, such as car accidents, fireworks, playground fires, defective products, brain injuries, and swimming accidents. Children are also vulnerable to injury and violence. Maltreatment by those in positions of authority, riding as passengers in vehicles, and learning to drive all put minors at risk.

All of the risks listed above can result in injury or death. Injuries to a child can result in significant costs and out-of-pocket expenses for the rest of the child’s life.

What can a minor recover? If a minor is injured, they can recover for their injury, disability, pain and suffering, future loss of income (when they become an adult), disfigurement, and pretty much everything else that an adult can recover for now, as well as all future damages that they are entitled to receive when they become an adult. Typically, minors are unable to recover past medical bills because their parents owe those bills. Similarly, even if the minor is working, the income legally belongs to the parent, so past lost income incurred while the injured person was a minor is a claim that legally belongs to the parent.

What do the parents recover? Medical bills, lost wages, and other “bills” incurred on behalf of the injured minor while they were a minor. Because the injured person is no longer a minor, all bills incurred after that date are the responsibility of the injured person.

How long do the parents have to sue for what they owe? In Texas, the parents have two years from the date of injury to sue or settle their case for their injured minor’s bills, lost income, and so on.

How long does a minor have to sue for what they are owed?: A minor’s statute of limitations begins to run when they reach the age of 18. (or become an adult – if emancipated at an earlier date).

The laws governing minor injury can be complicated. If your minor child was injured due to the negligence of another, you must hire a Dallas child accident attorney to ensure you recover the full amount owed.

If your child has been injured as a result of someone else’s negligence, you will almost certainly require legal assistance to ensure that you receive the full amount owed. To discuss your case, please contact our office and speak with our Dallas auto accident attorney to discuss what you need to do to protect your rights and your child’s rights.

Call For A Free Case Review (972) 599-4100

Related Damages Pages:

Related Injuries in Accidents Pages:

Related Dallas Motor Vehicle Accident Pages:

Related Personal Injury Pages:

Car Accident Community Pages

Client Reviews
You want a great lawyer who keeps you informed on whats going on speaks with you personally and gets the job done call Doug Goyen. He is excellent & very professional you wont go wrong choosing him!! Thanks again for all your help Mr. Goyen! Socorro V.
Very efficient staff. I am VERY pleased with this firm. Gina W.
Very professional job handling my accident claim. I had some ER bills, and some visits to my ortho after (and various other bills that kept coming in). I was afraid I was going to get stuck owing money, but Doug Goyen took care of the case and had everything paid, including compensating me for the injury. Great lawyer IMO. I felt like my case was taken care of very well. Thx!! Bernard M.
Doug is a great attorney. He took care of my auto accident claim promptly, and answered any questions I had. I also had one of my hospital bills go into collections for non-payment. I was able to contact Doug a year after the accident, and received a copy of the check the hospital claimed they didn’t receive. I highly recommend this guy. David J.
The Law Office of Doug Goyen helped me recovery every bit I was owed on my claim. Very happy I used them. They knew what they were doing, and kept me informed. I felt taken care of the whole way. You wont go wrong using them. Arthur H.
Mr. Goyen helped me take on my own insurance company, the great and mighty Allstate. My prior firm basically dumped me, with a permanent injury because the case didn’t meet their financial guidelines for a settlement. I was a bicycle rider hit by a car driver at an intersection, and Allstate was the company on BOTH SIDES OF THE CLAIM. My own insurance company tried to throw me under the bus to limit their payout! Without Mr. Goyen’s help, I would have been left with NOTHING! I had thousands of dollars in unpaid medical bills, unable to receive treatment to correct the issue. He was unafraid and helped me get the best settlement I could … I am tremendously thankful! Pamala M.