McKinney Car Accident Lawyer
The Law Office of Doug Goyen has represented residents of McKinney, Texas as a McKinney car accident lawyer in personal injury cases involving car accidents since 1997. Attorney Goyen has settled thousands of cases for people who have suffered injuries from accidents and recovered millions in compensation on behalf of his clients. We provide powerful, experienced, and aggressive representation for our clients.
The Texas Department of Transportation’s data shows that McKinney, Texas had 1,528 auto accidents in 2019. Collin County had 13,857 accidents during that same time.
Distracted drivers keep causing the number of accidents to go up year after year, with more accidents more people are injured in those accidents. We help people who have been injured in accidents in a wide variety of ways. The most common ways we help are:
- Collecting the money from auto insurers for our client’s medical bills including ambulance, emergency room bills, doctor’s bills, and other medical-related bills that were incurred due to the accident.
- Finding medical facilities for our clients that do not know where to receive treatment for their injuries.
- Finding medical facilities that can defer billing our clients while they receive treatment, so those clients who cannot afford to pay the bills upfront for their treatment can receive the treatment they need for their injuries.
- Collecting compensation for our clients for any lost income they have due to the injury they suffered in the accident.
- Helping clients get their vehicles repaired, and getting them compensation for towing bills, storage fees, rental car expenses, and other out-of-pocket expenses caused by the accident.
- Getting the full settlement value of our client’s personal injury claim for their pain and suffering, disfigurement, physical impairment, or any other injury-related damage caused by the accident.
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to the question of how much a car accident case is worth. Every car accident is unique. At the Law Office of Doug Goyen, we strive to ensure that our clients receive the maximum amount of compensation to which they are entitled. This can amount to millions of dollars in some cases. In others, it could be in the tens of thousands. Whatever our clients’ circumstances, our goal is to ensure that they are not financially harmed as a result of a car accident that was not their fault. The amount of damages that a car accident victim may be entitled to recover is determined by the following factors:
- The victim’s severity of injuries
- The age and health status of the victim at the time of the accident
- The victim’s personal circumstances, such as the victim’s:
- Job or career
- Supported or provided care for family members
- Was involved in the community
- What caused the accident and who was at fault
- The difficulty and expense of proving the case
- Insurance to compensate the victim for losses
Car accident victims frequently sustain serious injuries that have a long-term impact on their lives. When motor vehicle accidents cause fatalities, the victims’ families and loved ones suffer. In both cases, victims or their families may be able to seek monetary compensation for the physical, emotional, and financial pain caused by someone else’s negligence or wrongful actions.
There are two broad categories of damages that a victim may be able to recover from those who are at fault in a car accident.
The first type of damage is known as economic or special damages. These damages are intended to compensate the victim for all of the costs incurred as a result of the accident. Medical expenses, property damage, lost wages, and lost future income are all examples of special damages that a victim or victim’s family member may be able to recover.
The second type of damage is known as non-economic or general damages. These damages compensate the victim for harm that is more difficult to quantify. The most common type of non-economic damages is pain and suffering. It assigns a monetary value to the victim’s losses as a result of the car accident. Other types of general damages include loss of consortium, disfigurement, and mental anguish, all of which attempt to put a monetary value on a tragic loss or the victim’s inability to live life normally after the accident.
Lawyers frequently rely on documentation to prove damages, such as medical bills that show how much money an injury has cost or pay stubs from the victim’s job that show how much the victim could earn before the accident rendered him or her disabled.
An experienced lawyer may also need to consult an expert, such as an accountant or financial planner, to determine the present value of any future costs the victim reasonably expects to bear, such as wages the victim can no longer hope to earn or the cost of long-term therapies and treatments.
When it comes to proving medical damages, a doctor, specialist, or another healthcare provider may be required to provide expert medical testimony during a deposition or trial to demonstrate the existence and extent of injuries. An expert medical provider may testify about the accident victim’s medical treatment, the long-term nature of the injuries sustained, and objective findings based on medical observations and permanency evaluations. All of this expert medical testimony has the potential to increase the amount of compensation a victim of an accident may receive.
The burden of linking injuries and damages to the car accident falls on the injured accident victim as well. In other words, the injured plaintiff must demonstrate that the injuries and damages sustained would not have occurred if the accident had not occurred. In most cases, this necessitates the testimony of an expert medical provider, such as a treating doctor or medical specialist.
The Law Office of Doug Goyen’s experienced team has represented clients in auto accident cases for over 23 years. Our attorneys’ extensive knowledge is critical in ensuring that a client’s claim seeks the appropriate amount of money and determining whether a settlement offer is fair.
COMMON CAUSES AND TYPES OF AUTO ACCIDENTS
Being involved in a car accident is a very stressful situation. The stress caused by a car accident can be exacerbated. From bodily harm to property damage, medical bills to lost wages, you may be in for more than you bargained for.
While some car accidents are unavoidable, many others are. There are some accident causes that are more common than others. The most common causes of car accidents are listed below. Knowing the causes may assist you in avoiding your own collision. The following are common types and causes of auto accidents:
- Tailgating Accidents
- Speeding Accidents
- Debris Causing Accidents
- Driving while Fatigued
- Failure to Yield Accidents
- Hit and Run Accidents
- Multiple Car Crash Accidents
- Negligent Entrustment and Accidents
- Reckless Driver Accidents
- Distracted Driving Accidents
- Road Rage Accidents
- Side-Impact Accidents
- Head-On Collisions
- Red Light Accidents
- Unsafe Lane Change Accidents
- Rear-End Accidents
- Intersection Accidents
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Brain Trauma Injuries
- Burn Injuries
- Internal Organ Injury such as Liver, Kidney, Adrenal Injury or Adrenal Hemorrhage
- Catastrophic Injury
- Neck and Back Injuries, including Whiplash Injury, Cervical Radiculopathy, Bulging Discs and Herniated Discs, Anterolisthesis Injury
- Facial Injury, including Orbital Fractures, Eye Injury, Detached Retina, PVD Eye Injury and Eye Floaters
- Leg Injury, including Knee Injury, ACL Knee Injury, Collateral Ligament Knee Injury,
- Shoulder Injury including Rotator Cuff Injury
- Ankle and Foot Injury
- Pelvis & Hip Injury
- Chest Injury
- Arm Injury, Hand and Wrist Injury
- Soft Tissue Injury
- Post-Traumatic Arthritis
- Wrongful Death
The following is a checklist to help guide you after you have been involved in an auto accident with injuries. This checklist can be used in any auto accident but is specifically designed for car accidents with injuries, and for residents of McKinney, Texas:
a. Check for injuries. A car wreck is traumatic. It is an unexpected and sudden event. People often are in a state of shock immediately after an accident. Some people do not realize they are injured at first. Before you start moving around look yourself over to make sure of the severity of any injury you may have. Afterward, if you have any passengers attend to them to make sure they are ok. If they are not in the need of immediate aid, then next check on the occupants of the other vehicles in the accident. If anyone is hurt you need to get help to the accident scene.
b. If anyone is hurt get the police and paramedics to the scene. Call 911 and report to the dispatcher that there has been an accident and report the injuries to them. The dispatcher will send police and paramedics to the scene of the accident. The Police will secure the area, assist anyone who is injured until paramedics arrive, and interview the people involved in the accident.
c. Get the contact information for any witnesses. Do not wait for the witnesses to bring their information to you. They might not realize you need their information. Approach anyone who is a witness and ask for their name, phone number, and any other contact information they are willing to provide. The other driver may be admitting fault initially, but once the police arrive they may change their story. Or they may change their story after they get home and talk to their spouse or friends, or when they start worrying about their insurance rates going up. You need to have the witness information to give to the police officer and to give to your lawyer in case it is needed.
d. Exchanged IDs and auto liability information with the other drivers. The law in Texas requires drivers involved in auto accidents to exchange identification and auto liability insurance, regardless of who is at fault. See: Texas Transp. Code 550.203. Use your cellphone to take pictures of the other driver’s ID and insurance. NOTE: If you cannot do things on this checklist because of your injury, get a friend or family member to the scene to do it for you.
e. Use your cellphone to take pictures of the other vehicles and the accident scene. Take photos of the points of impact on the vehicles. Get pictures of the damage done to every vehicle involved, including your own. Take pictures of any debris on the road from the accident, or any skid marks. Take pictures of the roadway in the direction you were traveling in, and in the direction, you were coming from. Take pictures of the roadway in the direction the other driver was traveling, and where they were coming from.
f. Talk to the police officer when they arrive at the scene and cooperate with them. The police officer will interview each person individually out of the hearing of everyone else. When they interview you tell them what happened and let them know if you are feeling any pain, discomfort, or any injury at all from the accident. The officer will put the information you give them on the police report. If you want to obtain a copy of your accident report from the McKinney Police Department you can go to their website here: McKinney Police Department Records
g. Follow the advice of the paramedics. If the paramedics evaluate you and advise you to go to the emergency room then follow their advice. Paramedics have training and experience in auto accidents and injuries from accidents. If they see symptoms that they are concerned about, then you should be concerned as well.
If you decide to drive yourself or have family members drive you to the emergency room the following emergency rooms are located are in or are near McKinney, Texas:
- Methodist McKinney Hospital: Emergency Room – 8000 W Eldorado, McKinney, Texas
- Legacy ER McKinney – 2810 Hardin Blvd, McKinney, Texas
- Legacy ER & Urgent Care – 16151 W Eldorado Pwky, Frisco, Texas
- Other Emergency Rooms in the DFW area
Hire a personal injury lawyer that handles car accident cases. Research the personal injury lawyer you hire. Personal injury lawyers give free consultations, so the call costs you nothing. Talk to the lawyer about your case. Do not sign up with a lawyer’s office without interviewing the lawyer first. If a case manager wants you to sign up before you speak to the attorney, do not go with that lawyer. You need to talk to the lawyer because the lawyer is the person representing you. Discuss your case with the attorney, ask questions, and listen as well. If you are injured from an auto accident you do need a lawyer to handle your case for you that knows how to get the compensation your case deserves.
a. Go for a follow-up appointment with a medical facility if you are injured. If you are unsure of where you need to go for treatment, or if you do not know how you will be able to afford medical care, the Law Office of Doug Goyen can help you find a medical facility that can treat you for your injuries and defer collecting on your bills until the auto insurance company releases the funds for your injury.
b. Do not talk to anyone from the auto liability insurance company for the other driver if you have been injured. Insurance adjusters are trained to pay as little as possible for injury claims related to auto accidents. If they can deny part or all of your claim they will do so. Adjusters have training and experience in asking people questions that elicit answers that allow the insurance company to deny injury claims. Let your lawyer talk to the insurance company on your behalf. Personal injury lawyers that handle auto accidents recognize when adjusters are fishing for responses that allow them to deny a claim. We can answer any questions they have appropriately, so your rights are protected.
c. If you have visible injuries take photos of them. Insurance adjusters only pay claims if they have proof. A photo of a visible injury is at least some proof. Give the photos to your lawyer so they can use them to help you with your injury claim.
d. Get your own estimate to repair your vehicle. Do not rely on the insurance company’s estimate. Adjusters write almost every estimate lower than the actual cost to repair the vehicle. Adjusters do this in the hopes that you will take the check and instead of fixing your vehicle, use it on something else. This way they get out of paying the real value of the damage to your vehicle. This can be a problem because you are actually not being paid the real value of the damage done. If you have your vehicle repaired, the body shop will get supplemental estimates from the insurance company as they do the repairs and the insurance company will pay the body shop supplemental payments that cover the price of the repairs. Typically, there are not too many problems if repairs are done this way. Problems can arise if the auto insurance company decides to deny liability. When you file the lawsuit in this situation, you will need to have evidence of the amount it will cost to fix your vehicle. If you rely on the insurance company’s original estimate they wrote, you are relying on an estimate that will not pay the amount that it will actually cost to repair your vehicle. Get your own estimate to protect yourself.
e. Body Shops: Body shops will usually write free estimates for people who have been involved in auto accidents. They want your business. Body Shops in the McKinney, Texas area that can do estimates, and do repairs for your vehicle include:
- The Body Shop Collision Repair – 700 N. McDonald St, McKinney, Texas
- VIVID Auto Body Shop & Auto Hail Repair – 2421 East University Dr, McKinney, Texas
- Service King Collision McKinney – 2727 S. Central Expwy, McKinney, Texas
- Other body shops in the DFW area
If you need a rental car while your vehicle is being repaired, be sure to let the rental car company know you are getting the rental vehicle for an auto accident. Most rental car companies give special rates for people involved in auto accidents, and they will contact the insurance company themselves to set up a direct bill, so the insurance company pays for the rental bill directly to the rental car company. Check with your rental car company to see if they can set that up for you.
Rental car companies in the McKinney, Texas area include:
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car – 1434 N. Central Expwy Ste 100, McKinney, Texas
- Avis Car Rental – 3512 N. Central Expwy, McKinney, Texas
- Hertz – 1701 W. Eldorado, McKinney, Texas
- Other rental car companies in the DFW area
f. Keep track of all your out-of-pocket expenses. Save all your receipts, bills, and records of any out-of-pocket costs or expenses, or bills you owe that you have incurred due to the accident. Give a copy of everything to your lawyer so they can get reimbursement from the insurance company for those items.
g. Be careful what you put on social media. Assume the insurance adjuster and the lawyers from the insurance company will see anything you post on social media. If you have an injury claim the adjuster will look for posts that show you are not injured. They will look for any time you appear to be doing something that someone with an injury should not be doing. Watch what you post on your social media accounts.
If you are needing a personal injury lawyer for your car accident injury claim call the Law Office of Doug Goyen at (972) 599 4100 or contact us on our contact form for a free consultation. There is no fee unless you win!
The Law Office of Doug Goyen handles personal injury cases throughout the state of Texas. This includes car crash cases (automobiles, 18 wheelers, motorcycles, pedestrians struck by vehicles, etc.), premises cases (such as injuries caused by a dangerous condition on a property), dog bite cases (or other animals where the owner let their animal loose or had a dangerous animal and the owner’s negligence causes injury to someone else), workplace injuries, and other injuries caused by the negligence or harmful acts of others.
We deal with the insurance company and protect your rights while you focus on what you need to do to get better and take care of yourself and those around you.
Large commercial trucks do serious damage and cause serious injuries. We will fight for you to get you the compensation you deserve and protect your rights while you recover.
Drunk drivers cause serious injuries and death every year. We fight their insurance companies to get you compensated for the damage and injury they have caused you.
Pedestrians struck by vehicles can suffer serious injuries. We represent people injured in by negligent drivers and help our clients get compensation for their injury.
Bicyclists are at risk of serious injury if they are hit by a vehicle. We represent bicyclists who have been hit by careless drivers.
When bars or restaurants continue to over-serve drunk people, and those people cause accidents that result in injuries, we assist clients in obtaining compensation for their injuries.
We fight for the rights of motorcyclists who have been hurt by careless drivers. We are fighting for full compensation from the insurance company.
When someone dies as a result of negligence from a motor vehicle accident, the family and estate have a claim against the negligent parties. We represent families and estates in obtaining restitution for their losses
If you or someone you know needs the assistance of a McKinney car accident lawyer in an injury case call (972) 599 4100 for a free consultation and a free strategy session regarding your case. The strategy session includes a summary of your case, identification of the legal issues involved with your case, and identifying those legal issues that will help maximize your recovery in your case. We will email a copy of this strategy session to you for you to keep. Call us today.MCKINNEY, TEXAS INFORMATION
McKinney, Texas is a city located in Collin County (the county seat) with an estimated population of 199,177 in 2019. McKinney is one of the fastest-growing cities in the country for its size. In 2010 it was named as the 5th best place to live in the United States by Money Magazine. It is located north of Dallas. McKinney is named after Collin McKinney, an early Texas congressman, and one of the signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence.
Two-thirds of McKinney’s residents live within the McKinney ISD school district. There are three high schools in McKinney, McKinney Boyd High School, McKinney High School, and McKinney North High School.
The Law Office of Doug Goyen has been providing legal services to the citizens of McKinney, Texas since 1997.
Auto accident resources in McKinney, Texas
If you are visiting McKinney, Texas, and are involved in an auto accident, you may find yourself in need of temporary lodging and food as a result of the accident and need to stay in McKinney for an extended period of time as a result of the accident. McKinney is home to the following restaurants, hotels, and attractions.
Hotels in McKinney, Texas
- Holiday Inn & Suites McKinney – N Allen – 3220 Craig Dr, McKinney, TX 75070. Phone +1 469 952 2044
- Home2 Suites by Hilton McKinney – 2630 S Central Expy, McKinney, TX 75070. Phone +1 469 678 5045
- Hampton Inn & Suites McKinney – 2008 N Central Expy, McKinney, TX 75069. Phone +1 972 542 6622
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott Dallas McKinney/Allen – 2660 S Central Expy, McKinney, TX 75070. Phone +1 469 678 5047
Restaurants in McKinney, Texas
- Cristina’s Mexican Restaurant – 2811 Craig Dr #110, McKinney, TX 75070. Phone +1 214 544 2800
- Gloria’s Latin Cuisine – 3635 W University Dr, McKinney, TX 75071. Phone +1 469 631 0484
- Durkin’s Pizza – 8930 TX-121 STE 594, McKinney, TX 75070. Phone +1 972 727 8400
- Razzoo’s Cajun Cafe – 3270 S Central Expy, McKinney, TX 75070. Phone +1 469 547 6130
Activities in McKinney, Texas
- Heard Natural Science Museum & Wildlife Sanctuary – 1 Nature Pl, McKinney, TX 75069. Phone +1 972 562 5566
- Historic Downtown McKinney – 202 S Chestnut St, McKinney, TX 75069. Phone +1 972 547 2660
- Katherine B. Winniford Park – 4900 Highlands Dr, McKinney, TX 75070. Phone +1 972 547 7330
- Bonnie Wenk Park – 2996 Virginia Pkwy, McKinney, TX 75071. Phone +1 972 547 7480
Click the following link for directions to our Addison office:
Law Office of Doug Goyen
15851 Dallas Pkwy #605
Addison, Texas 75001
Directions to our office from McKinney are: Head south on I-75 and exit the George Bush Tollway heading west. Stay on the George Bush until you come to the North Dallas Tollway. Head south on the North Dallas Tollway. Stay on the North Dallas Tollway until you come to the Keller Springs exit. Take the Keller Spring exit. Stay on the service road and pass Keller Springs. Our office is the 2nd building south of Keller Springs, located on the service road to the North Dallas Tollway in the Madison Business Center on the 6th floor.
By Doug Goyen, email@example.com
- Dallas Personal Injury Lawyer near me
- Fort Worth Personal Injury Lawyer near me
- Arlington Personal Injury Lawyer near me
- Frisco Personal Injury Lawyer near me
- Garland Personal Injury Lawyer near me
- Irving Personal Injury Lawyer near me
- McKinney Personal Injury Lawyer near me
- Plano Personal Injury Lawyer near me
- Denton Personal Injury Lawyer near me
- Grand Prairie Personal Injury Lawyer near me
- Lewisville Personal Injury Lawyer near me
Car Accident Community Pages near McKinney
- McKinney, Texas Car Accident Lawyer near me
- Plano, Texas Car Accident Lawyer near me
- Frisco, Texas Car Accident Lawyer near me
- Allen, Texas Car Accident Lawyer near me
- Dallas, Texas Car Accident Lawyer near me
- Addison, Texas Car Accident Lawyer near me
- Carrollton, Texas Car Accident Lawyer near me
- Denton, Texas Car Accident Lawyer near me
- Garland, Texas Car Accident Lawyer near me
- Richardson, Texas Car Accident Lawyer near me
- Sherman, Texas Car Accident Lawyer near me
- Far North Dallas, Texas Car Accident Lawyer near me
- Farmers Branch, Texas Car Accident Lawyer near me
- Flower Mound, Texas Car Accident Lawyer near me
- Lewisville, Texas Car Accident Lawyer near me
- Rowlett, Texas Car Accident Lawyer near me
Auto Insurance Used in Accidents
- Collision, Comp, Rental, and Towing Insurance
- Liability Insurance in Auto Accidents
- Medical Payments Coverage in Texas
- Personal Injury Protection in Texas
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage in Car Wrecks